welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Khrymsyn
uhh... wait, huh?!

Send a message via AIM to Khrymsyn
Call of Duty : Black Ops

You know, considering that 3/4ths of my friends list was playing CoD:BO yesterday, I'm in shock that there's no "official" thread here on it.

What are you all thinking? Good? Bad? Is it going to have staying power? I'm missing playing with the old Modern Warfare folks, but at the same time, kinda hesitant to pick up a game that might only be touched for a week (as it seemed MW2 was).
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Zombies eat brains. Cannibals eat faces. Fine Young Cannibals drive me crazy.
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg, no, if the lovin's strong and you got it goin' on buy Schar: BSA on Xbox Indies or Desura.
Khrymsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Drayven
Yes, I yawn like a Wookie

Yesterday was alot of fun. The game seems pretty solid so far but it's hard to tell if it's the game or just that I'm excited to have a fully party of people playing something again. The matchmaking still seemed a bit flakey and we had some drops when joining as a party and such. However, it seems like if you join a match on a friend, even if you're not in their CoD party, it will try to keep you on their team from match to match. This means that once you get a good number of people in a room you don't have to keep dropping out to pick up newcomers.

I think the cash system is interesting and like the idea of customized player cards and guns and such. We did however already run into one guy who had his icon as a horse fucking a pig. And I believe I heard there were 2 dinosaurs going at it at one point too. I do wish I had the option to use attachments for for like 10-15 minutes of game time as a trial before I plop the cash down on them.
Drayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Shieldmaiden
Social Justice Cleric

I played some split screen 2v2 deathmatch and zombie mode last night. I had a lot of fun with it, I like the weapon selection and time period more than either WW2 or modern day stuff.

Put the sexy back in large wholesale slaughter!
Shieldmaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
burger
Banned

I'm probably close to halfway done. It's solid for sure BUT you can always tell a Treyarch game from an Infinity Ward one. Treyarch's concept of difficulty is night and day from IW's. Let's put it this way...I've beaten CoD 1,2,4 and 6 on Veteran. What do they all have in common? They weren't made by Treyarch.

Like CoD 3 and 5, Black Ops has too many sequences that involve never ending floods of bad guys that endless spawn until you manage to move two feet forward to some trigger point. It's incredibly annoying and cheap and this is only on regular mode. I'm having flashbacks to CoD5 when I will be surrounded by teammates but then I will die all of a sudden and then it shows an NVA soldier literally one foot behind me...where the heck were my teammates??? It's cheap things like that that prevent any of the Treyarch games from having the gameplay polish of an IW title. They tend to use cheapness over AI or strategy.

Don't get me wrong...I'm dying to get home to play more...the story is solid....love the variety of locations....love the inclusion of Sam Worthington.

I would say the one glaring omission is music...after MW2's use of Hans Zimmer this one sounds a bit generic.
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Karak
Press Start to Begin

I love the story and am enjoying the voice actors. Holy shit.
Had a blast last night. Nothing is perfect, and that is how I am taking the game.

I will say the Russian Prison...that was a bit mentally hard to take with the way it looked and that first moment when hearing the cries and screams. Dirty and nasty.
In fact the entire game is dirty haahaha. Which I enjoy.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrymsyn View Post
You know, considering that 3/4ths of my friends list was playing CoD:BO yesterday, I'm in shock that there's no "official" thread here on it.

What are you all thinking? Good? Bad? Is it going to have staying power? I'm missing playing with the old Modern Warfare folks, but at the same time, kinda hesitant to pick up a game that might only be touched for a week (as it seemed MW2 was).
I thought back and forth about making an Official Thread. But they ALWAYS devolve into a nerd war so I didn't.
I just decided to play the game and enjoy it So thanks to you for making a thread.

I like it.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Uatu
Go fuck yourself.

PC version here. The Cold War era makes for some awesome set pieces in the campaign. I would say it isn't quite as good as the MW2 campaign, but better than MW1 by a long shot.

Multiplayer is fantastic. Again, the 60s backdrop is awesome as far as levels, weapons, and forces. I have always felt Treyarch made better multipalyer maps, and this continues the trend in my opinion.

Zombies is still fun, with asome new stuff to keep it interesting.

Looking forward to do some Spec Ops.
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Inspector Fowler
Colonist

To be honest, I was thinking about making one too, but the general attitude here sometimes feels like, "if it's popular we'll hassle you for liking it" so I wasn't going to.

But then I got online and my only two friends online were CoGgers playing Black Ops.

I played one multiplayer round, and it was fun.
Inspector Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
wyeast
Wub Wub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayven View Post
The matchmaking still seemed a bit flakey and we had some drops when joining as a party and such.
This is the part I'm waiting to see about. I want to know if they've been able to rectify MW2's problem with this before I shell out the bones. Even more important than worrying about the Hax. If I can stay with my friends and bail to another match, it's all good.
"Meat wrapped with meat. Hmmm... Delicious." - astranoir
wyeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Uatu
Go fuck yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Fowler View Post
To be honest, I was thinking about making one too, but the general attitude here sometimes feels like, "if it's popular we'll hassle you for liking it" so I wasn't going to.
Fuck the vocal minority.
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uatu View Post
Fuck the vocal minority.
I would rather not fuck them myself.
But I would like to do something to turn off their constant static.

Back on topic.
I really am loving it. MP wasn't bad at all. I can't see how the purchase program is going to develop as I gain levels. I am sort of wondering how it will balance but its pretty damn cool.

Oh PC and 360 here.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Inspector Fowler
Colonist

I guess I'm less excited about the purchase system now that I understand it.

You still have to hit a certain level before you unlock a gun, and then you need the cash to buy it. Obviously the benefit is that you didn't spend any cash on the previous guns, so maybe you'll be able to buy this one and equip it or whatever.

But I don't really see how that's any different than, "Hit level 21, here is a new gun".

I was hoping that I could literally buy any weapon in the game if I had the cash saved up.
Inspector Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Goronmon
More QQ Less Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger View Post
I'm probably close to halfway done. It's solid for sure BUT you can always tell a Treyarch game fro
Treyarch's concept of difficulty is night and day from IW's. Let's put it this way...I've beaten CoD 1,2,4 and 6 on Veteran. What do they all have in common? They weren't made by Treyarch.
Tell me about it. I'm going through my playthrough on Veteran. Damn Treyarch knows how to make you miserable. Even the checkpoints are annoying, with many coming right before a small cutscene. Not to mention they seem to take the approach of the harder the section of the game, the fewer checkpoints there are to save progress.

The most annoying part for me was when you were jumping around the rooftops with the Russian guy and at the end you
have to fight off some guys with just your pistol. Damn that part was frustrating as you are stuck prone, with one gun and about a dozen guys coming from both the front and back. Took me over 50 tries to survive long enough for the van to kill off everyone.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
roboninja
Without Fear

Quote:

But then I got online and my only two friends online were CoGgers playing Black Ops.

I played one multiplayer round, and it was fun.
Seriously, as someone who has called CoD a mess, and would never buy it: do not let this keep you from speaking your mind, please.
roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
Quote:
Originally Posted by burger View Post
I'm probably close to halfway done. It's solid for sure BUT you can always tell a Treyarch game from an Infinity Ward one. Treyarch's concept of difficulty is night and day from IW's. Let's put it this way...I've beaten CoD 1,2,4 and 6 on Veteran. What do they all have in common? They weren't made by Treyarch.
Don't get me started on COD 5's difficulty... worst fucking game I've ever played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Seriously, as someone who has called CoD a mess, and would never buy it: do not let this keep you from speaking your mind, please.
COD is what is wrong with the video game industry and if people keep buying these games like sheep we'll never see anything radically new and interesting.
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729 Raptr: Dukefrukem

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Drayven

Quote:
I guess I'm less excited about the purchase system now that I understand it.

You still have to hit a certain level before you unlock a gun, and then you need the cash to buy it. Obviously the benefit is that you didn't spend any cash on the previous guns, so maybe you'll be able to buy this one and equip it or whatever.

But I don't really see how that's any different than, "Hit level 21, here is a new gun".

I was hoping that I could literally buy any weapon in the game if I had the cash saved up.
Well you still have to hit certain levels to unlock the gun itself but not the attachements. As I recall in previous games you couldn't get certain upgrades for guns until you got X kills, but there were guns that were horrible without an increased rate of fire or red dot site or whatever. Now when you unlock the gun you can buy the attachements you want, if you have the cash.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
Sly Marbo
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrukem View Post
COD is what is wrong with the video game industry and if people keep buying these games like sheep we'll never see anything radically new and interesting.
Who the fuck are you to tell me how to spend my money/time?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
burger
Banned

Quote:
As someone who has THOROUGHLY enjoyed all 6 of them what exactly is wrong with them?

I usually make similar statements about guys like Michael Bay and how he represents all that is wrong with cinema and that the suckers who buy his tickets are sheep.

I for one would like to know if I'm the gaming equivalent of a Transformers 2 viewer. Maybe there's hope for me...but I think you need to enlighten me first as to what I'm missing. Blow my perspective out of the water....shatter my reality. Make the house of cards that is my gaming taste crumble to the ground.
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
Drayven

Quote:
Arent' you one of the people that put down money on a game that never came out? :P CoD is a fun time shooting dudes in the face. MW2 had glitches that the developers couldn't/wouldn't fix and that's what killed it I don't think it was the game itself.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #20
Khrymsyn
uhh... wait, huh?!

Send a message via AIM to Khrymsyn
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Marbo View Post
Who the fuck are you to tell me how to spend my money/time?
And here comes the Nerd War Karak was referring to.

Guys, please. Let's just talk about the game itself, and not the politics behind the game companies and crap, k?
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Zombies eat brains. Cannibals eat faces. Fine Young Cannibals drive me crazy.
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg, no, if the lovin's strong and you got it goin' on buy Schar: BSA on Xbox Indies or Desura.
Khrymsyn is offline   Reply With Quote