welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

I popped this in during lunch break. It wasn't that great. There better be more skills than jedi mind trick that's new and no...throwing lightsabres will not do it. Other than that crushing tie fighters with absolute force crushing power is still fucking awesome as ever.

I gave force unleashed 1 a chance and it was reviewed poorly. This, I will give a chance as well. If not for the employees that got laid off be it cutting the fat or not who knows.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #22
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I popped this in during lunch break. It wasn't that great. There better be more skills than jedi mind trick that's new and no...throwing lightsabres will not do it. Other than that crushing tie fighters with absolute force crushing power is still fucking awesome as ever.

I gave force unleashed 1 a chance and it was reviewed poorly. This, I will give a chance as well. If not for the employees that got laid off be it cutting the fat or not who knows.
There is NOTHING else. You saw it all during your lunchbreak. Best to never play again

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Did some looking around and this seems like something I'll let drop in price. Need to find SOMETHING to blow this placeholder game on.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #24
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Did some looking around and this seems like something I'll let drop in price. Need to find SOMETHING to blow this placeholder game on.
Get Farmville. The paid version...oh wait

Old 10-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #25
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
There is NOTHING else. You saw it all during your lunchbreak. Best to never play again
Yeah, this game is to force unleashed 1 as Bioshock 2 is to Bioshock 1.

More action, less story..if any. I'm having fun but it's getting kind of repetitive with no carrot on a stick to keep me going. Let's throw an army at you game play and nothing to break it up.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #26
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
The story, what I've read of it, hurts my brain.

Didn't he DIE in the first one, if you went good?

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #27
Deadend
Done

Send a message via AIM to Deadend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-7 View Post
He's an environment artist so complaints about the plot definitely aren't his problem. Comments about repetitive level design, however, fall squarely on his desk.

Sounds like he'll be doing quite a few shots tonight.
I thought Lucasarts was laying off most of the TFU2 staff anyhow? So he really may need to do some drinking.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #28
Narradisall
Cookies

Shame,

While most people hear pan the first one, I really did like the story and the main character. Hence I was a bit reluctant when I heard this one would have Starkiller in it too (I was hoping they would try a different person/time as I thought the Starkiller story was tied up nicely). Would have been nice for them to run this series, with on shot stories each time, fitting them into key moments of the SW galaxy history.

I will still give it a whirl, but it'll be a present or bargin bin for me.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #29
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Yeah, this game is to force unleashed 1 as Bioshock 2 is to Bioshock 1.

More action, less story..if any. I'm having fun but it's getting kind of repetitive with no carrot on a stick to keep me going. Let's throw an army at you game play and nothing to break it up.
Lets not hyperbole too much here.

I have beat it and there is indeed a story and cutscenes with story

It's just not as long as #1 with less background cause well...I think you can guess why going over the same old stuff would be a bit...weird.

Also I think if anyone expected a super detailed story about a badguy with two lightsaber's on a quest to kill everything to get to a single target and his 1 nemesis in the story, then they went into it wrong. The story IS that you are having armies thrown at you. That is half of what's going on and why.
And that's ignoring that this game is about action. And that is where they did indeed fix a good deal. They didn't add as many new force powers as I would like but that too is explained in the...you guessed it...story and cutscenes.

Now, the ending on the other hand

Last edited by Karak; 10-27-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #30
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Lets not hyperbole too much here.

I have beat it and there is indeed a story and cutscenes with story

It's just not as long as #1 with less background cause well...I think you can guess why going over the same old stuff would be a bit...weird.

Also I think if anyone expected a super detailed story about a badguy with two lightsaber's on a quest to kill everything to get to a single target and his 1 nemesis in the story, then they went into it wrong. The story IS that you are having armies thrown at you. That is half of what's going on and why.
And that's ignoring that this game is about action. And that is where they did indeed fix a good deal. They didn't add as many new force powers as I would like but that too is explained in the...you guessed it...story and cutscenes.

Now, the ending on the other hand
You can't say I'm hyperboleing and then turn around and hyperbole too. Throwing armies at you as a story is 80s story telling with doom and wolfenstein type stuff. That's practically 20yrs ago. The first game had a slew of story compared to this. I wasn't expecting an epic final fantasy 7 tale but I was expecting the same as the first with more force powers.

So far it just seems like tightened up game play of the first with less story telling. I'm fine with that and for the first game I would say it's worth the $70 but for this, it's definitely on the rent it side of the spectrum.

It's a fun game no doubt about it but it fails as a sequel except in combat.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
Savok
Vulcan Rage!

..... Star Wars (2 of them anyway) came out in the 80s.
Savok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #32
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savok View Post
..... Star Wars (2 of them anyway) came out in the 80s.
That's cool but what does that have to do with video game story telling history? o_O? Oh...so this is what J Arcane means by straw man.

;D
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #33
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
You can't say I'm hyperboleing and then turn around and hyperbole too. Throwing armies at you as a story is 80s story telling with doom and wolfenstein type stuff. That's practically 20yrs ago. The first game had a slew of story compared to this. I wasn't expecting an epic final fantasy 7 tale but I was expecting the same as the first with more force powers.

So far it just seems like tightened up game play of the first with less story telling. I'm fine with that and for the first game I would say it's worth the $70 but for this, it's definitely on the rent it side of the spectrum.

It's a fun game no doubt about it but it fails as a sequel except in combat.
I am not engaging in hyperbole at all, or lying like you are. I have played it and beat it. Since you appear to have as well, which ending did you get? How did you feel about the ending. I mean the story part.

You said "if any" that's past hyperbole to just a complete lie. Not liking a story or feeling it is lean is far different than lying about it as saying "if any". That's just a troll remark to even pretend that there isn't a story.

The armies are sent at you for a reason and a valid one. That's not hyperbole it just is and makes complete sense in the story especially in...an action game. But hey I guess I missed the story and cutscenes in doom, you know since they are the same thing right?

I guess if you wanted a game where there are no armies sent at you, they could make one where you are a Jedi Counselor talking to people about grain negotiations. Excellent QTE with you and the negotiators playing "rock paper scissors" to see who gets the better part of the deal.

But I guess now your argument has suddenly changed to something about 20 years ago that hasnt happened since or recently right? Right?

Not sure what that even means or why doom with no huge cut scenes or narrative was brought into this. But I have played this game and there is indeed a story, I won't lie and say its jaw dropping amazing and huge nor have I. It would be good to not lie and say there isn't one "if any".

Also if we are talking about argument types and things used for them-

"Hyperbole (pronounced /haɪˈpɜrbəli/, hye-PUR-bə-lee[1]; from ancient Greek ὑπερβολή 'exaggeration') is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally."
I have not exaggerated in saying that the story revolves around you being sought out by armies that the story is there, and that the action is good. Those are measured responses and far from exaggeration.

Last edited by Karak; 10-27-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #34
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

There's obviously a story. Saying that sending an army at you is story however is like saying Smash TV is a HUGE story. I'm not saying the game is horrible and you shouldn't play it but it is every bit deserving the reviews it is getting. Fans of the first will be slightly disappointed if they were expecting a similar arc as the first.

If sending waves upon waves upon waves of enemies at the player for a very good reason is a story we'd still be in the dark ages where Doom is still considered epitome story telling. Smarten up.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #35
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
There's obviously a story. Saying that sending an army at you is story however is like saying Smash TV is a HUGE story. I'm not saying the game is horrible and you shouldn't play it but it is every bit deserving the reviews it is getting. Fans of the first will be slightly disappointed if they were expecting a similar arc as the first.

If sending waves upon waves upon waves of enemies at the player for a very good reason is a story we'd still be in the dark ages where Doom is still considered epitome story telling. Smarten up.
Though I do smile each time you take a snip of what I say and pretend that is ALL I said is funny. Remember that the entire post is still viewable on the pages of the thread.

But I am glad your finally admitting there is a story and agreeing with my earlier posts about the story.

You still never said what you thought about the ending. But I have this weird feeling you haven't even played it all. Which might make this conversation far more one sided than it already is, especially about story.
And if you have. Then...well enough said.

Last edited by Karak; 10-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #36
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Though I do smile each time you take a snip of what I say and pretend that is ALL I said is funny. Remember that the entire post is still viewable on the pages of the thread.

But I am glad your finally admitting there is a story and agreeing with my earlier posts about the story.

You still never said what you thought about the ending. But I have this weird feeling you haven't even played it all. Which might make this conversation far more one sided than it already is, especially about story.
And if you have. Then...well enough said.
I'll let ya know tonight when I beat it. I'll apologize for the exaggeration but the example still stands bioshock 1 to bioshock 2. Bioshock 2 had story but it was story lite in comparison to the first. That's the point. You're right in the objection to my exaggeration but you're not right overall.

Smile at that bud. In the end you're not right either.
In comparison to the first that is.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #37
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-7 View Post
Much to my surprise, it was also released for PC over Steam today. The first one lagged behind on PC, was ported by an outside studio, and clocked in at over 30gigs. TFU2 is $39.99 and about 10gigs. If I had a working video card, I might just check it out despite the poor reviews.
That is a pretty big surprise actually... it wasn't even in the UPCOMING GAMES list.
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729 Raptr: Dukefrukem

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #38
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
I'll let ya know tonight when I beat it. I'll apologize for the exaggeration but the example still stands bioshock 1 to bioshock 2. Bioshock 2 had story but it was story lite in comparison to the first. That's the point. You're right in the objection to my exaggeration but you're not right overall.

Smile at that bud. In the end you're not right either.
In comparison to the first that is.
I am now frowning because...I don't think you have looked at my posts in this thread at all especially my first ones.

Things I have said.
Action is better than the first one, less force powers than I wanted, story is not great, its short, and is not drivel. It is also told in game and in cutscenes.
That the story revolves around your battles and your search and escapes as well as someones attempts to KILL you by ordering his people to...kill you.
That your comment about "if any" story was completely overstated.

And that I played it and beat it.

You have said-
There is no story. Oh wait yes there is.
That its like Bioshock 2 compared to 1. I said nothing to this as I never played 2. I just took that on faith.
That it is like Doom because bad guys are after you in droves?? (In an action game...about a Sith with 2 lightsabers named Starkiller) I am just pointing that out because he doesn't have them to light people's cigars.
And that you haven't even played it all the way through.

So after all your changes. What the heck are you even arguing with me about? What don't you agree with me on?
As far as I can tell you agree with my posts made day(s) ago, especially after taking the hyperbole out.

If and when you beat it. Then if you hate the story and think it is TERRIBLE. That is 100% ok as people hate and love stories of all kinds. But thats not the same thing as saying that there was not one. Which my original comment was about and which you have now changed. That would be like me saying Fable 3's story sucks. Hell I have no idea. Because I haven't played it through yet.

So to me it sounds like we agree, even if you hate or love the story. As I found it ok.

Last edited by Karak; 10-27-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #39
Ace3502
Terran

Hey, So ya, I actually pre-ordered it. The extra costumes and the sweet crystals you get from the pre-order are really cool, I feel like the game was never meant to be about a great story, or anything like that, they just wanted to give the player the full power of the force. The areas you go to are very beautiful, and the face that just about every object can be used as a weapon is a plus in my book. The extra costumes make the game really enjoyable for a second play. So to the people who created it, I liked it. Many people are talking about how repetitive it is, and ya it kinda is, but I can't think of many games that give you that much power that aren't...... I feel like it could have been a bit longer, and maybe a few tweaks, like any other game, but overall I really enjoyed it. So maybe people may not feel like it's worth buying brand new, but any gamer should look on getting it, bargain bin or not. I just love unleashing(no pun intended) a can of force out upon wave after wave of bad guys. Kinda like watching Ninja assassins, I didn't really go for the story lol.
Ace3502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #40
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace3502 View Post
Kinda like watching Ninja assassins, I didn't really go for the story lol.
There is a story?

Sorry Karak. Couldn't resist

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote