welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > Console Haven

Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #41
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Hmmm. The gametrailers review seemed very very worrying. Especially as the issues they point out might not crop up in a demo. I think I will rent just in case.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #42
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Hmmm. The gametrailers review seemed very very worrying. Especially as the issues they point out might not crop up in a demo. I think I will rent just in case.
I'm not watching it, I saw too much already. What did they say?

I just read the GamesTM review and they were really positive. Only the long length and some iffy platforming could be called issues.

Will buy regardless.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #43
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
I'm not watching it, I saw too much already. What did they say?

I just read the GamesTM review and they were really positive. Only the long length and some iffy platforming could be called issues.

Will buy regardless.
Nothing game breaking. Some bad decisions about exploration and how it occurs, some pretty bad controls for the jumping/platforming that leads to death far more than it should and unexplainable times when moves SHOULD work that just don't and inane puzzles. Also that basically when the game is always walking forward with no exploration it works well but during the exploration parts it breaks down fairly often. Not game breaking but worrisome enough for me that 60 bucks isn't worth it when I can rent it for 5.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #44
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Nothing game breaking. Some bad decisions about exploration and how it occurs, some pretty bad controls for the jumping/platforming that leads to death far more than it should and unexplainable times when moves SHOULD work that just don't and inane puzzles. Also that basically when the game is always walking forward with no exploration it works well but during the exploration parts it breaks down fairly often. Not game breaking but worrisome enough for me that 60 bucks isn't worth it when I can rent it for 5.
Tnx. I read some of those things as well indeed, but that's stuff that I can live with compared to the grand setting and total epicness of it I guess.

Soundcloud
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #45
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Tnx. I read some of those things as well indeed, but that's stuff that I can live with compared to the grand setting and total epicness of it I guess.
Agreed.I usually do as well. But if I have to wade through bullshit I just can't spend money on it...or 60.00 versus a rental (10.00). If it turns out that its awesome, I buy it, if I haven't beat it for 10. But since its basically a 1 playthrough game I don't see much need for a purchase for me just to say I have it.

I have been trying to get back into renting anyway. I have a HUGE pile of games that are basically 1 offs like this that I bought and said...oh ya I will play that again. And never did. 60.00 for a piece of plastic is starting to sit with me less and less well as I get older and want to keep my home somewhat picked up.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #46
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
Quote:
HERETIC! I'll not suffer a witch to live.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #47
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
HERETIC! I'll not suffer a witch to live.
Gametrailers cause they said it?
Or me because I am not spending 60 when I can spend 10 to try it first?

Please specify which witch is the witch which you want to burn

And if it is me...then prepare sir.
I will poke holes in your condoms for your upcoming date with a needle and put baking soda in your lube. And thats me in a good mood

Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #48
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Man it's already ordered. I must have. I mean wondering around I do in every game any ways. Just don't pad the game for time. I'm getting tired of Darksiders towards then end here cause it's like do this similar task, over and over again x amount of times just so it can keep moving.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #49
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
Quote:
Gametrailers cause they said it?
Or me because I am not spending 60 when I can spend 10 to try it first?

Please specify which witch is the witch which you want to burn

And if it is me...then prepare sir.
I will poke holes in your condoms for your upcoming date with a needle and put baking soda in your lube. And thats me in a good mood
Which Witch is which? While you want there wherefore witch who is which witch that I want, I shall not inform thee of which witch until which witch knows which.

....Oh fuck it. Just leave my jimmy hats alone

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #50
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Well.
Here is a bit of a mini review.
The game looks amazing. And when I saw amazing I am not adding any hyperbole. It's a1 steak-sauce amazing. One of the best looking games I have ever seen console or otherwise. We are talking about cutscene quality gameplay.

The story has been pretty damn good so far with far less emo chick-dude content than I could have ever assumed or hoped for. It makes the game far more enjoyable. Though the story is a bit angsty it doesn't hinge on it like say a God of War or DMC.

The plateforming at times is indeed fucked but passable at the worst of times and flowing well at the best of time. I would never play this more than once but wow. It's freaking beautiful and the score is somewhat LOTR'ish which adds a great deal to the game as much of the world looks somewhat tolkienish.

The moveset seems pretty lean so far with just combo's on the main weapon adding an extra swing or so to an already existing move set but it plays very well in combat.

The only complain I have aside from some of the plateform bits is that the collision detection on some monsters is maybe 1.5 what it should be, making dodges timing altered for some creatures you fight.

Last edited by Karak; 10-04-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #51
menage
Praise the sun!

Sounds good!

Soundcloud
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #52
Sandman
Libratorr

Gamefly just shipped it and is giving me a keep it price of $48.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #53
Grifter
Cognified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Gamefly just shipped it and is giving me a keep it price of $48.
Yeah, I got a keep of $43 but as fun as I know this game will be I don't think I'd play through it more than once so it will stay a rental. If I feel like playing it again down the road I'll buy it when it drops to $20 or less.

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #54
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Sounds good!
Ya it turned out just looking and feeling way better than I thought. As I said the plateforming is ok. At times great and at other times pretty bad. But its the exact definition of a rental. It a beautiful linear game that is damn fun.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #55
Narradisall
Cookies

I'm on the fence on this one, I tried the demo, was a bit confused at the riding a unicorn through the forest part, but otherwise it was a solid demo.

Only thing I hate is the camera, constantly getting plowed down by werewolves because the camera decides to settle on a pretty tree over there while 3 wolfs gang rape you off camera is a bit shitty.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #56
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
I'm on the fence on this one, I tried the demo, was a bit confused at the riding a unicorn through the forest part, but otherwise it was a solid demo.

Only thing I hate is the camera, constantly getting plowed down by werewolves because the camera decides to settle on a pretty tree over there while 3 wolfs gang rape you off camera is a bit shitty.
FYI. This continues in the normal game as well.

Also the tutorials for some things do not occur until after the 3rd or 4th failure. That was...a BAD decision. And caused me some serious cash in the cussing jar.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #57
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
FYI. This continues in the normal game as well.

Also the tutorials for some things do not occur until after the 3rd or 4th failure. That was...a BAD decision. And caused me some serious cash in the cussing jar.
I may give it a miss for now then. I found it a bit annoying, esp when the big wolf leapt at me, but I missed the split second warning to grab the giant wood stake next to me, and then didn't have enough health to do it again, so died and reloaded.

Dramatic unicorn leap was hilarious, but I loath games with almost deliberately shitty camera angles and mobs that hang in the blind spots to attack.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #58
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
I may give it a miss for now then. I found it a bit annoying, esp when the big wolf leapt at me, but I missed the split second warning to grab the giant wood stake next to me, and then didn't have enough health to do it again, so died and reloaded.

Dramatic unicorn leap was hilarious, but I loath games with almost deliberately shitty camera angles and mobs that hang in the blind spots to attack.
Well, I think I said it in this thread, or in another one, that collision detection is off a bit on some enemies as well. So a dodge is timed differently for 1-2 of the enemies. And it's obviously not planned as the enemies aren't anything special it just crops up. Its a strange thing to occur. Also yes, the camera angles can suck. I have been killed a handful of times by invisible enemies hidden in bushes that just swiped out a hand and killed me hahahaha. But I laughed it off and moved on and now have a fear of bushes.

The thing about the tutorials threw me for a loop. I thought it was a glitch but saw on another forum that it happened to them as well. It was NOT a hard action to do, it just wasn't as intuitive as the developers probably hoped it would be.

On the other hand there are some bits that are GREAT fun. The first 2 boss(mini boss) battles are great fun(NOT THE WOLF) and I enjoyed them. Sadly with no real combos in the game, its basically just hitting x or y again or at a different time, the battles are a bit of a bone breaking game where you just whittle each other down. But it was still fun. I think that is a kudo to the developers who had to make the battles enjoyable with such a terrible and shallow combo/weapon system.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #59
menage
Praise the sun!

Yay. I got one. Sadly my father in law happens to ruin the fun for tonight since it's his birthday:P (I mean of all the weeks I waited for a decent game to buy and this week everybody is making plans, what about all those days I was bored before huh???). But tomorrow I'm so there.

Soundcloud
Old 10-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #60
Draconis
Colonist

Picked this up today.

For starters, I am REALLY impressed with the limited edition box. I really wish more companies would take this avenue with collectors editions boxes in regards to the game case.

What they did is made the case, and combined it into a wonderfully artistic hardback case of sorts, artbook, game case, and cd soundtrack case all at once. They then have a good and relatively sturdy plastic sleeve that goes around it.

The entire thing is a work of art, and I am sitting here looking at my Batmans collectors edition game case (not the big batarang) and really wishing they did the same thing.

That having been said....I've played a bit of this, and I am thoroughly impressed. The voice acting is top notch, some of the best I've ever seen. They've managed to carry through the character of Gabriel beautifully. You can tell he loves his wife, misses her dearly, but it's not over the top. Its well stated, but stoic in a way as well.

The combat is great. Very good, and though has a slight learning curve, has some real OOPMH.

The combat Cross when it hits, feels very visceral and solid. Unlike God of War or other games where you feel like you are just hitting armor or blocks constantly, the Combat Cross when it hits, is almost FELT. The impact sounds and the way they are implemented gives a definite feel of realism to the weapon. You can almost feel it THUNK into the enemies as you fight them, giving a very satisfactory sense of combat to the senses.

Last bit I want to comment on.

This is by far, one of the most GORGEOUS games I have ever seen in my entire life. Kudos goes to the art teams and level designers. Everything just feels so lush, vibrant, alive. You can feel the oppressive nature of the environments as you go through them, the chill of winters bite as the snow whirls around you, or the sheer wild aura of the forests in some areas as you traverse them.

Details are not left out either. The glisten of rain, Birds that are pecking at food on odd ledges as you pass by, the glow of fireflies and faerie lights or the choking poisonous mists that threaten to squeeze the life out of you. Truly, this is by far hands down, the most beautiful game I have ever seen.

They nailed down one thing that Castlevania has always had. Atmosphere, and in this game, the environments and graphics bring out that atmosphere in SPADES.

Music is also fantastic, the implementation of the book, demonstrations of the skillups and what they do....I can go on and on but seriously I cannot praise this game enough thus far with my initial impressions. I am truly in love with it, and I didn't know what to expect coming in.

Thus far, I think the big question one has to ask themselves is this. Is this the first, TRULY successful 3D Castlevania?

Thus far, my answer is a resounding YES.
Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote